I joined FaceBook a few months ago. I tried to fight it as long as possible, but I finally had to give in because it seems that is the only way people communicate with one another these days. I caught some flack when I finally joined because I may have once said something to the effect of “the only people my age who should be on FaceBook are single people & pedophiles.” Just so you know, I’m not a pedophile (although do pedophiles actually admit it when they are? I doubt it. “No Chris Hansen, I wasn’t here for anything like that, I just brought a Happy Meal, a 6 pack of Mike’s Hard Lemonade and condoms to this house for a tutoring session” ) Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many times having the word pedophile in your blog gets you put on some sort of government watch list? I guess we’ll see if 4 is the magic number.
Anyway, I like the idea of FaceBook; it’s allowed me to reconnect with a few old friends and communicate with people I would’ve never called or emailed. With that said, I don’t know if I’m just getting old or what, but here are some things about FaceBook that really annoy me:
1) I hate getting friend requests from people I either A) have no idea who they are, or B) people I didn’t talk to when I went to school with them or worked with them. I guess it’s just a numbers game for them; trying to accumulate hundreds of friends. I’m just the opposite – I’m content with my 15-20 friends (I know, quit bragging). I feel bad turning them down, so I’ll just let the friend request sit out there for a while. More often than not I’ll eventually end up accepting it. I’ve never had the nerve to defriend someone; I guess I’m afraid that it’ll make me look like a FaceBook snob or I’ll run into that person sometime and they’ll confront me on why I defriended them on FaceBook. I don’t have a problem telling them why, but then I’m sure it’ll get around that William is an @$$hole (if it hasn’t already). Besides, with more FaceBook friends comes more stupid updates, which brings us to
2) Those dumb quizzes people take. I understand that if you see one or two quizzes that look interesting, but taking every quiz out there, 5 or 6 at a time? Really?! I really don’t care what type of Starbucks coffee you are. What’s even more annoying are the ignorant comments people leave to these quiz results “OMG – that’s’ crazy! I totally see you as a mocha latte!” What does that even mean?
3) Stop “poking” me – it’s dumb.
4) One last thing: it’s not that annoying yet, but it’s getting there: when married couples comment on each other’s statuses. I guess that’s more of a pet peeve of mine. Couldn’t that have been a conversation you had at home with one another? Why do I need to be made privy to this conversation?
Song/Album of the day: TRVS DJAM “Fix your Face” Mixtape. It’s Travis Barker playing drums to DJ AM mixing well-known songs from the Beastie Boys, Jay-Z, Johnny Cash, Run DMC, Prince, Michael Jackson, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin, etc. I highly recommend it. If you listen to it, play all of the 15 songs back to back because it is a mixtape – there is no break between songs. This was what they were out promoting when their plane crashed. It’s not on iTunes; the official site to get it is http://www.trvsdjam.com/downloadpage/download_box.html, but it may not be available there anymore – try here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ljg1zjzgtzt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What is the purpose of a poke anyway? Autumn and I "poked" each other (save the jokes) to try and figure out the allure. Unsuccessfully as it turns out. And, yes. I'll probably have at least one asinine comment for each of your posts. You'll be ok:)
ReplyDeletePlease, you know I’m notorious for making asinine comments – it’s what I do. Good thing you said something or I probably would’ve done a whole posting on you and Autumn “poking” each other – I can’t pass that up.
ReplyDelete