Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Please stop the bus to let my brother Jack off

There hasn’t been a lot going on lately with me, so I haven’t had much to write about. The Haunted House DJ gig went pretty well. People who were listening to the music seemed to be enjoying themselves. The high school dance/step troupe wanted to perform the “Thriller dance” every 30 minutes for the crowd, so that provided an opportunity to play around mixing in and out of that Michael Jackson song on the fly. I was heckled a bit; not by the kids, but by Jennifer and Jack. They would yell out random songs (mostly Ghostbusters) that they wanted to hear, and would boo if the next song wasn’t their request. It was all in jest though and we all had a good time.

I did recently donate blood at a blood drive at my work, and had somewhat of an interesting experience. I’ve given blood before and am not afraid to do so. I’m not bragging or anything; I give because 1) I’m sure I’ll end up in the hospital some day and will need someone else’s blood. 2) in the big scheme of things I’m hoping that doing something nice for strangers will make up for all of the times I’m mean and insensitive to strangers, and 3) I think the world will be a much better place if more people had some William Howard blood pumping through them.

As you probably know, before you donate they have you answer a myriad of questions regarding your medical history, your international travel history, and your sexual history. Two of my answers on my questionnaire required the technician to ask me additional questions and delve deeper into my past than usual: I had traveled outside of the U.S within the past 3 years (Australia), and had gotten a tattoo within the timeframe listed on the questionnaire. They had to look on a world map to see if Australia was considered a “safe place” (it was, and just by looking at the map, it looked like it was mostly Africa that was “unsafe”), and they had to write down the name of the tattoo shop I visited. That was kind of fun because to that technician I seemed a lot cooler than I really am.

One question I found odd on the questionnaire was this one, which was under the HIV/AIDS portion: “Have you been in juvenile detention, lockup, jail, or prison for more than 72 hours?” Really?! So I guess they think that if you spend longer than 3 days locked up in a correctional facility . . . something’s going to happen and you’re going to get some action. That should serve as a reminder to never get in trouble with the law on the Friday night of a 3 day/holiday weekend, because by Tuesday you could come out of lockup with a whole new set of problems.


Song/Album of the day: Girl Talk’s “Feed the Animals” album. Girl Talk is somewhat of an oddity to me, and I’m having a hard time fully committing to it. I read an article about him in GQ (article) and didn’t think much of it until Jennifer asked me if I had listened to his album (she read the article as well). I downloaded the album (album here). As I’ve said before, I’m a fan of mash-ups but this is sometimes almost too much, even for me. It’s really impressive that he did all of that with just a laptop, and he used a lot of well-known random songs that I like. It is very professionally done (he changed what key certain songs are in so they’ll blend well with the other songs and the timing is impeccable). If you get a chance, download it, listen to it and let me know what you think. The first time I listened to it I couldn’t get past trying to identify all of the samples being used. So if you’re like me and need a cheat sheet of all of the samples being used for each track – find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment