I went and saw the new Terminator movie the other day. It was ok; not great but somewhat entertaining. It follows the premise of the original Terminator story: Skynet (a computer software-based artificial intelligence military defense system) becomes self-aware and sees the human race as a threat to its existence. It starts a nuclear war by firing nuclear missiles at Russia; Russia in turn fires nuclear missiles at the United States. This nuclear exchange kills billions of people in just minutes. Skynet then utilizes robots and machines to hunt down and kill the remaining human survivors, the end goal being the extermination of all mankind.
I left the movie thinking the following: what would happen if Skynet won the war and eliminated the entire human race? What would Skynet and all of the Terminators do next, throw a huge party to celebrate their victory? I’m sure they’d have a Lee Greenwood-type Terminator robot sing some cheesy, patriotic robot song in honor of the day they killed the last human. After the party ends I can see them just looking around at each other and giving a shrug, like “what now?” Since inception, the terminators and Skynet had one goal; to destroy the humans. Once that’s been completed, they wouldn’t know what to do. It’s not like the T-600 model would go find a new career in middle management once all the “people killin’” had been completed. They’re robots; they wouldn’t have the desire to start a normal, suburban family life. They wouldn’t go on vacation to the beach to clear their head or take the red-eye to Vegas with a bunch of their Terminator friends for an extended weekend. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t all just shut down once their objective had been completed – a successful completion to an end of job of sorts.
I don’t know; this was just what I thought about on the way home from the movie theater. By the way, this is the type of thing us nerdy IT guys stand around the water cooler at work and talk about.
Song of the day: “Here (In Your Arms)” by Hellogoodbye. I admit it’s a cheesy song. If you listen to it through headphones though it sounds pretty good. I actually prefer to listen to music through a decent pair of headphones; you hear pieces and instruments in the song that you miss when listening via speakers. A lot of tracks that Timbaland produces have “layers” within them that I never noticed until listening via headphones (FYI - Timbaland did not produce this song).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you crazy IT guys:)
ReplyDeleteI may be wrong, but isn’t your new boy an IT guy as well? If so, what’s he do? (I understand blog comments are not the proper venue for a conversation). I know you’re pretty techie as well, so I bet you two have been known to geek out now and then.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure I would describe myself as techie but I can definitely do a good geek out:)
ReplyDelete